Specimen Collection Manual: Urethral Swabs
- ESwab Collection System.
- UTM or UVT transport medium.
Specimen Collection Criteria
- The patient should not have urinated for at least 1 hour prior to specimen collection.
- Position the patient so that the urethra is readily accessible.
- Cleanse the urethral meatus as for collection of clean catch urine.
- Insert a mini-tip, flocked swab 2 to 4 cm into the urethra.
- Carefully rotate the swab three times and remove the swab from the urethra.
- Urethral discharges are not acceptable specimens.
- Do not use expired media. Check expiration date on all media prior to use.
Microbiology Laboratory – RO
Microbiology Laboratory – TR
Microbiology Laboratory – GP
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.