Medical Laboratory Science Program
Introducing the new MLS Training Program with Beaumont Laboratory
We are excited to announce the new Beaumont School of Medical Laboratory Science 44-week clinical education program!
This program is tentatively planned to begin the 4th quarter of 2021. It is designed for post-baccalaureate degree candidates with a B.S. degree in Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry.
Applicants must be highly motivated, self-directed learners who will be able to commit to a rigorous 44-week, full-time program (Monday – Friday).
- The program format will consist of daily full-time interactive lectures in the first half followed by clinical laboratory rotations in the second half.
- Clinical rotations will be conducted at our Beaumont Laboratory campuses in Dearborn, Farmington, Grosse Pointe, Troy, Taylor, Trenton and Wayne.
- The program schedule will be Monday-Friday during day shift hours although some laboratory rotations may be conducted on the afternoon shift. Hours will vary depending on site and clinical instructor preference.
- Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to apply for the Medical Laboratory Scientist certification exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification and seek employment
in numerous clinical laboratory disciplines.
- U.S. equivalent of B.S. degree in Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry
- GPA of 2.8 or higher – both overall and in degree-specific courses – to be verified by submitting official transcript(s) from universities attended
- Completion of the following baccalaureate-level courses within the last 7 years:
- 16 credit hours in Chemistry including:
- BIOCHEMISTRY and ORGANIC CHEMISTRY courses with laboratory
- 16 credit hours in Biology including:
- GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY with laboratory
- MATH (intermediate algebra or higher)
- PHYSIOLOGY and
- STATISTICS (preferred)
- Additional skills: Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel – and Internet applications
- Permanent U.S. resident or authorization to work in the U.S.
- Three faculty or employer recommendations
- Previous work experience required
- Meet the approval of the MLS Admission Committee to ensure GPA and university coursework meet both program admission and certification agency requirements. NOTE: Exceptions to the above academic requirements may be permitted upon review of academic transcript and personal interview.
- The 44-week School of Medical Laboratory Science will accept 16-20 students a year.
- Tuition will be $5,000, non-refundable and due one week prior to the program start date.
- Tuition will be waived for current Beaumont employees.
- Applications will be accepted through August 10th
- Interviews conducted through August 25th
- Interviewed applicants will be notified of their admission status around August 20th
As further details are finalized for the program, the information will be posted to the following Beaumont Laboratory Education Center website: https://www.beaumontlaboratory.com/about-us/education.
If you are seriously interested in this opportunity, please complete and return the 44-week program Student Application, Recommendation Form, and Essential Functions/Technical Standards documents, along with official transcript(s) to:
Heidi Gorske at Heidi.Gorske@beaumont.org.
We will follow-up promptly to schedule an on-site interview upon review and approval of all requested documents.