Medical Laboratory Science Program
We are excited to announce the new Beaumont School of Medical Laboratory Science 44-week clinical education program!
program is scheduled to begin January 4, 2022. Students have already been admitted into the first class. The next program start date will be January 2023.
This program is designed for post-baccalaureate, non-MLS degree candidates. Applicants must be highly motivated, self-directed learners who will be able to commit to a rigorous 44-week, full-time program (Monday – Friday), consisting of a dedicated lecture series in the first half and clinical laboratory rotations in the second half of the program.
- The program format will consist of daily full-time interactive lectures in the first half followed by clinical laboratory rotations in the second half.
- Clinical rotations will be conducted at our Beaumont Laboratory campuses in Dearborn, Farmington, Grosse Pointe, Troy, Taylor, Trenton and Wayne.
- The program schedule will be Monday-Friday during day shift hours although some laboratory rotations may be conducted on the afternoon shift. Hours will vary depending on site and clinical instructor preference.
- Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to apply for the Medical Laboratory Scientist certification exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification and seek employment
in numerous clinical laboratory disciplines.
- U.S. equivalent of B.S. degree
- Major in MLS, Health Science, Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry preferred
- GPA of 2.8 or higher – both overall and in degree-specific courses – to be verified by submitting official transcript(s) from universities attended
- Completion of the following baccalaureate-level courses within the last 7 years:
- Foundations in Clinical Laboratory Science-CDS 4900 – Offered Fall and Winter through Oakland University
- 16 credit hours in Chemistry including:
- BIOCHEMISTRY and ORGANIC CHEMISTRY courses with laboratory
- 16 credit hours in Biology including:
- GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY with laboratory
- MATH (intermediate algebra or higher)
- PHYSIOLOGY and
- STATISTICS (preferred)
- Additional skills: Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel – plus Internet/email applications
- Permanent U.S. resident or authorization to work in the U.S.
- Three faculty or employer recommendations
- Previous work experience required
- Meet the approval of the MLS Admission Committee to ensure GPA and university coursework meet both program admission and certification agency requirements. NOTE: Substitutions to the above academic requirements may be permitted upon review of academic transcript and personal interview.
- The 44-week School of Medical Laboratory Science currently accepts 16-20 students a year.
- Tuition is $5,000 and will be due one week prior to the program start date.
- Tuition may be waived for a 2-year work agreement. Contact program director for details.
- Applications will tentatively be accepted April 1st through August 15th
- Interviews will tentatively be conducted June 1st through September 30th
- MTIMPM Student Match Registration forms must be postmarked by October 5th. Interviewed applicants will be notified of the match results in early November.
We will follow-up via e-mail to schedule an on-site interview upon review and approval of all requested documents
Official program information will be available shortly at the following website:
https://www.beaumont.edu/other-education/allied-health > Medical Laboratory Science.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please complete and return the Student Application, Recommendation Form, and Essential Functions/Technical Standards documents, along with official transcript(s) to: Heidi Gorske at Heidi.Gorske@beaumont.org. We will follow-up promptly to schedule an on-site interview upon review and approval of all requested documents.