Sputum - Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe & Troy
Sputum for Cytology, Deep cough sputum, Cytology, Non-Gyn Respiratory Specimen, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA)
EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
For questions regarding specimen collection and transport, please contact the Cytology Laboratory.
- Farmington Hills: 947-521-8249.
- Grosse Pointe: 313-473-1850 or extension 1850.
- Troy: 248-964-9050 or extension 49050.
- Outreach: 800-551-0488.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Sputum in a sterile collection container. (Minimum: 2.0 mL)
- Fresh, unfixed sputum is preferred.
- Collect sputum specimen in the morning before the patient eats. Patient must rinse mouth out with plain water and discard the rinse water.
- Patient should cough deeply and deposit only those secretions raised from the chest into the sputum collection container. Secure the lid tightly.
- Label the specimen container with the patient name, hospital number, source of specimen, and date of test.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA)” and fill in all appropriate fields. IMPORTANT: ORDER AND SIGN EACH CYTOLOGY TEST INDIVIDUALLY. THE LABORATORY INFORMATION SYSTEM CANNOT FILE MULTIPLE TESTS ORDERED IN THE SAME SESSION AND SOME ORDERS MAY BE LOST. Label specimen container and requisition with SOFT ID labels.
- All Cytology specimens must be accompanied by a requisition and must include the patient name, hospital and visit number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, pertinent patient history, physician name and source of specimen.
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimens refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Sputum in a sterile collection container, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Any specimen received without all of the required information will result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen.
- Specimens that leak outside of specimen container into transport bags.
Inpatient Specimen Preparation
- Deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (2nd floor, East) Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- When the Cytology Laboratory is closed, specimens may be delivered to Laboratory Central Processing.
- Deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (first level) Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical floors and Clinical Pathology, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- When the Cytology Laboratory is closed, specimens may be delivered to the Clinical Pathology Specimen Processing area.
- Deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (lower level, area D) Monday–Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical floors and Endoscopy Monday–Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- When the Cytology laboratory is closed, specimens may be delivered to the Department of Specimen Reception, tube station #201 (extension 48030).
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Specimen must be refrigerated immediately upon procurement.
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Farmington Hills Cytology Laboratory
Grosse Pointe Cytology Laboratory
Troy Cytology Laboratory
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Results available within 24-36 hours of receipt in the Cytology Laboratory, if received Monday – Friday. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Specimens received after 3:00 pm on Friday will be processed the following Monday and resulted on Tuesday.
Farmington Hills: Smear Preparation and Cell Block Preparation, if possible.
Grosse Pointe: ThinPrep® Monolayer Preparation, Smear Preparation, and Cell Block Preparation, if possible.
Troy: ThinPrep® Monolayer Preparation or Smears.
CPT: 88112, 88104, 88305.
Cytology Laboratory – TR
Cytology Laboratory – GP
Cytology Laboratory – FH
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.