Sputum for Cytology, Deep cough sputum, Cytology, Non-Gyn Respiratory Specimen, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL NON-GYN
Sputum specimens are often ordered x 3. Each sputum must be collected on three separate mornings. Each sputum must have a different collection date and must be registered as three separate visits (when the patient is an outpatient).
For questions regarding specimen collection and transport, please contact the Cytology Laboratory.
- Dearborn: 313-436-2369
- Farmington Hills: 947-521-8247
- Grosse Pointe: 313-473-1801
- Royal Oak: 248-898-9035
- Taylor: 313-295-5365
- Trenton: 734-671-3868
- Troy: 248-964-9050
- Wayne: 734-467-4275
- Outreach: 800-511-0488
Sputum for Cytology kits can be picked up from the Cytology Laboratory (1 North Tower, lower level, west wing), Monday-Friday, 6:30 am – 4:30 pm, or can be picked up from the Surgical Pathology Laboratory located near the East Tower elevators when the Cytology Laboratory is closed. Sputum for Cytology kits include 3 Green-top or Lavender-top 50 mL tubes with CytoLyt® fixative, 3 Cytology requisitions and instructions on how to collect a sputum sample. CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE ON THE KIT PRIOR TO COLLECTING THE SPUTUM.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Grosse Pointe, Farmington Hills, Troy, Dearborn, Taylor, Trenton and Wayne: Sputum in a sterile collection container. (Minimum: 2.0 mL)
Royal Oak: Sputum sample in a collection tube provided in the Sputum for Cytology collection kit.
- Collect sputum specimen in the morning before the patient eats. Patient must rinse mouth out with plain water and discard the rinse water. Royal Oak: DO NOT let patient rinse with or swallow the CytoLyt® solution.
- Patient should cough deeply and deposit only those secretions raised from the chest into the sputum collection container. Secure the lid tightly.
- Royal Oak: shake the specimen vigorously to evenly distribute the CytoLyt ® solution.
- Label the specimen container with an EPIC specimen label with the patient name, medical record number, source of specimen, test ordered, and date of test.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL NON-GYN” and fill in all appropriate fields. Label specimen container and requisition with EPIC specimen labels.
- All Cytology specimens must be accompanied by a requisition and must include the patient name, medical record and visit/CSN number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, pertinent patient history, ordering physician name and source of specimen. Place and EPIC specimen label on the requisition.
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Dearborn, Grosse Pointe, Farmington Hills, Taylor, Trenton, Troy & Wayne:
Maintain specimens refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Maintain fixed specimens at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Grosse Pointe, Farmington Hills & Troy:
Sputum in a sterile collection container, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
Sputum in a sealed ThinPrep® Cytolyt container, room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen.
- Specimens contaminated with a foreign material.
- Specimens dried up in a cup or frozen.
- Specimens that leak outside of specimen container into transport bags.
- Any specimen received without all of the required information will result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
Inpatient Specimen Preparation
- Deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (2nd floor, East) Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- When the Cytology Laboratory is closed, specimens may be delivered to Laboratory Central Processing.
- Deliver the specimen directly to the AP Laboratory (first level) Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical floors and Clinical Pathology Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.GP surgical specimens are picked up from the main OR every 2 ½ hours. Endoscopy specimens are delivered to the AP lab throughout the day.
- When the AP Laboratory is closed, specimens may be delivered to the Clinical Pathology Specimen Processing area. Specimens are to be placed in the fridge closest to the door after hours.
- Deliver specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (north tower, lower level, west wing) Monday – Friday, 6:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up from the surgical floors, Endoscopy, and Clinical Pathology Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm, and Saturday 7:00 am – 11:00 am, NT and Endoscopy ONLY.
- When the Cytology Laboratory is closed specimens may be delivered to the Surgical Pathology Laboratory (located on the lower level near the east tower elevators), Clinical Pathology Specimen Receiving (located in the Beaumont Laboratory Research Building), or STAT Lab.
- Hand-deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (lower level, area D) Monday–Friday, 7:30 am – 4:00 pm.
- When the Cytology laboratory is closed, specimens may be hand-delivered to the Department of Specimen Reception, phone: 248-964-8615.
- Deliver the specimen to the main lab drop off window and sign in. Open 24/7.
- Deliver directly to Cytology, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical area and endoscopy. Monday – Friday, 6:00 am – 4:30 pm, Saturday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- When the Cytology lab is closed specimens must be delivered to the main lab window and signed in.
- Deliver to histology 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- After hours: Deliver the specimen to the main lab. Open 24/7.
- Specimens are picked up from Emergency Dept., Interventional Radiology, and operating rooms from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- After hours deliver specimens to the main lab. Open 24/7.
- Specimens are picked up from Emergency Dept. and Interventional Radiology from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- After hours deliver specimen to the main lab. Open 24/7.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Fresh Specimen must be refrigerated immediately upon procurement.
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 14 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 14 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 14 days, Dearborn 7 days
Dearborn Cytology Laboratory
Taylor, Trenton and Wayne specimens are sent to Dearborn Cytology Laboratory for preparation, screening and issuing final results.
Royal Oak Cytology LaboratoryTroy Cytology laboratory
Grosse Pointe and Farmington Hills specimens are sent to Royal Oak Cytology Laboratory for preparation and screening. Final results are issued by originating hospital.
(most are prepared and screened at Royal Oak Cytology).
Monday – Friday, 6:30 am – 4:30 pm. (Royal Oak).
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 (Farmington Hills).
Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. (Troy).
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (Grosse Pointe)
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm (Dearborn)
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (Taylor)
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (Trenton)
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (Wayne).
Most results are available within 24-48 hours of receipt in the Cytology Laboratory if received Monday – Friday. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Specimens received after 3:00 pm on Friday will be processed the following Monday and resulted on Tuesday. Specimens received after 3:00 pm the day before a holiday will be processed the next working day and resulted out the following day.
ThinPrep® Monolayer Preparation only, routine processing.
Cytology Laboratory – TYL
Cytology Laboratory – TRN
Cytology Laboratory – WYN
Cytology Laboratory – DBN
Cytology Laboratory – RO
Cytology Laboratory – GP
Cytology Laboratory – TR
Cytology Laboratory – FH
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.