Specimen Collection Manual: Rectal Swab
- ESwab Collection System.
- UTM or UVT transport medium.
Specimen Collection Criteria
- Position the patient so that the anus is readily accessible.
- Insert a flocked swab 3-5 cm into the rectum.
- Rotate the swab and carefully withdraw it from the rectum. The swab should have fecal material on it.
- Do not use expired media. Check expiration date on all media prior to use.
Microbiology Laboratory – RO
Microbiology Laboratory – TR
Microbiology Laboratory – GP
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.