Specimen Collection Manual: Random Urine
- Collect at least 20 mL of clean-catch urine in a sterile screw cap collection container.
- The patient should cleanse themself with the towelettes as follows:
- Wipe the head of the penis in a single motion with the first towelette. Repeat with the second towelette. Uncircumcised patients should hold back the foreskin throughout the whole cleansing and urine collection process.
- Urinate a small amount into the toilet. This flushes most contaminants from the urethra.
- After a single stream is achieved, pass the specimen cup into the stream and obtain urine sample.
- Sit comfortably on the toilet and swing one knee to the side as far as possible.
- With the forefingers of one hand, spread the outer folders of the labia and keep them apart during the rest of the collection procedure.
- With the other hand, wipe the inner labial folds front to back in a single motion with the first towelette.
- Wipe down through the center of the labial folds with the second towelette.
- Keep the labia separated and urinate a small amount into the toilet. This flushes most contaminants from the urethra.
- After a single stream is achieved, pass the specimen cup into the stream and obtain sample.
- The cup should be at least 1/4 to 1/2 full.
- To prevent contamination of specimen with skin flora, the patient should remove the cup before the flow of urine stops and before releasing the labia or penis.
- The patient should then completely empty their bladder of urine into the toilet.
- Wipe off the outside of the container after replacing the cap.
- The patient must wash their hands.
- Label the specimen and deliver to the Laboratory within 30 minutes of collection. If delivery is not possible within 30 minutes, the specimen must be refrigerated.
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.