Specimen Collection Manual: Eye (Conjunctiva)
- ESwab Collection System.
- UTM or UVT transport medium.
Specimen Collection Criteria
- Moisten a flocked swab with sterile non-bacteriologic saline.
- Gently pull the lower eyelid downward and carefully swab the lower conjunctiva to collect both cells and fluids. The upper eyelid may be swabbed in the same manner.
- If both eyes are to be cultured, a separate sterile swab should be used for the other eye.
- Do not use expired media. Check expiration date on all media prior to use.
Microbiology Laboratory – RO
Microbiology Laboratory – TR
Microbiology Laboratory – GP
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.