Specimen Collection Manual: Cervical Specimens
- Dacron or Rayon swab.
- ESwab Collection System.
- UTM or UVT transport medium.
Specimen Collection Criteria
- Use a vaginal speculum to facilitate visualization of the cervix and to prevent the swabs from touching the sides of the vagina.
- Using a large sterile dacron or rayon swab, carefully remove the mucus from the endocervix. This swab should be discarded. Cervical exudates and mucus are not appropriate specimens.
- Using the ESwab, carefully rub the endocervical zone of the cervix, rolling the swab approximately 10 seconds to assure that the swab contains cervical epithelial cells.
- Carefully remove the swab to prevent contamination with vaginal flora.
- Place the swab into an appropriate transport medium and send to the specimen to the Laboratory.
- For the culture and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Neisseria gonorrhoeae, the ESwab Collection System must be used.
- For culture of Chlamydia trachomatis or for amplified (PCR) testing of N. gonorrhoeae and C. trachomatis, the swab must be placed in UTM or UVT transport medium.
- Do not use expired media. Check expiration date on all media prior to use.
Microbiology Laboratory – RO
Microbiology Laboratory – TR
Microbiology Laboratory – GP
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.