Iso (Allo) Hemagglutinin Titer
EPIC: LAB5291, SOFT: ISOTI
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Pink-top EDTA tube, properly labeled. (Minimum Volume: 5.0 mL)
It is extremely important that blood samples are accurately labeled. Inpatient labels must include the following information:
- Patient's Name: Complete name, last name first. If the patient uses a first initial followed by a middle name, both must appear in proper order on the label.
- Wrist Band Number: Include the prefix letters, 4 numbers, and a suffix letter (example: BR1234T). Specimens lacking this complete information cannot be used for blood transfusion purposes.
- Hospital Identification Number: The seven digit medical record number must be included on the label.
- Date and Time Collected
- Identification of Collector: Employee ID number must be on the sample tube or documented in the computer system.
For Beaumont Reference Laboratory (Outreach) patients, please refer to the Laboratory Bulletin on Laboratory Specimens: How to Label Correctly.
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Improperly labeled specimens.
- Specimens with inadequate volume.
- Specimens collected in SST tubes.
- Specimens contaminated with IV fluids.
- Hemolyzed specimens will be tested only in emergency situations.
Centrifuge the specimen upon receipt in the Laboratory.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 72 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Specimens are held for a minimum of 7 days.
*Once a sample arrives in Blood Bank, it cannot be shared with other laboratories.
Royal Oak Transfusion Medicine Laboratory (Blood Bank)
Monday – Friday, 6:30 am–3:00 pm.
Results available within 24 hours.
- Ordinarily, people possess antibodies directed toward the A and/or B antigen absent from their own rbcs. Titration of these antibodies is most often requested for the assessment of solid organ transplant compatibility.
- Historically, Iso Hemagglutinin Titers were obtained to check for immunodeficiency in young children (9 months to 2 years) suspected to have a disease state associated with absent or abnormally low allohemagglutinins.
- AABB Technical Manual, current edition.
- Royal Oak Blood Bank Procedure Manual.
Blood Bank Laboratory – RO
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.