Cystine, Urine Quantitative
ARUP #81106, EPIC: LAB5999, SOFT: XCYSU
- Use for monitoring treatment of patients previously diagnosed with cystinuria.
- A Urine Creatinine test is performed on each sample.
- Please refer to the Specimen Collection Manual for instructions on 24 Hour Urine Collection:
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: 24 hour urine sample with no preservative.
- Keep 24 hour urine specimen iced or refrigerated during collection.
- Include start and end dates and times for the collection period on the specimen container.
- Critical frozen. Specimens must be delivered to the Laboratory immediately after completion of collection.
Urine Preservative Options
6N Hydrochloric Acid
Boric Acid (10g)
50% Acetic Acid
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimens frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Entire 24 hour urine collection, frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below).
- Random urine samples.
- Urine with any type of preservative.
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Measure total volume of 24 hour urine specimen. Record total volume and collection start and end dates and times in the LIS system. Aliquot 8.0 mL from the well-mixed 24 hour urine collection and freeze (-20°C/-4°F or below). (Minimum: 3.0 mL)
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): Unacceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Unacceptable
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 30 days
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimen retention time is determined by the policy of the reference laboratory. Contact the Send Outs Laboratory with any questions.
Sent to ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT.
Monday – Friday.
Results available in 4-8 days.
Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry.
This test is indicated only to monitor patients with cystinuria on therapy.
LOINC: 22672-0, 30065-7
Send Outs Laboratory – RO
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.