Vaginal, cervical, urethral
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Aseptically collect a sterile swab from one of the following sources and place in the ESwab transport system or Amies charcoal medium:
- Urethral (Males Only).
- Seminal Fluid
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Do NOT refrigerate specimen. Maintain at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) and transport to the Laboratory within 8 hours of collection.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Swab specimen in ESwab transport system or Amies charcoal medium, at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Specimens submitted on dry swabs or not in the listed transport media.
- Specimens delayed in transit (greater than 8 hours from the time of collection).
Inpatient Specimen Preparation
Immediately transport specimens to the Laboratory for processing.
Do NOT refrigerate specimen. Maintain at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to testing.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 8 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Unacceptable
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 4 days
Dearborn Microbiology Laboratory
Taylor, Trenton and Wayne sent to Dearborn Microbiology Laboratory for testing.
Royal Oak Microbiology Laboratory
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, and Troy sent to Royal Oak Microbiology Laboratory for testing.
Sunday – Saturday, 24 hours a day.
Preliminary results available within 24 hours.
No pathogens recovered.
Aerobic culture, identification, and susceptibility testing (if indicated).
The recovery of a bacteria from an appropriate, properly collected specimen may be indicative of an infectious disease process.
This test is used to recover and identify aerobic bacteria that may be involved in human infections.
Neisseria gonorrhoeae positive cultures are reportable to MDHHS per Michigan Law.
- Vandamme, P.A.R. 2015. Specimen Collection, Transport, and Processing: Bacteriology. Jorgensen, J.H., Editor-in-Chief. Manual of Clinical Microbiology. 11th edition. ASM Press. Washington, D.C., p. 228-272.
- Linscott, A.J., 2016. Specimen Collection, Transport, and Acceptability. Clinical Microbiology Procedure Handbook. 4th ed. Leber, A.L. (ed), ASM Press. Washington, D.C., Section 2.1.
- Carson, J.A., 2016. Wound/Abscess and Soft Tissue Cultures. Clinical Microbiology Procedure Handbook, 4th ed. Leber, A.L., (ed), ASM Press. Washington, D.C., Section 3.13.
87070, 87088 (if indicated).
Microbiology Laboratory – DBN
Microbiology Laboratory – RO
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.