CD4 Absolute Count
T-helper cell count, CD4 Absolute Count, CD4/CD8 ratio, Flow Cytometry, CD4 Absolute Count, T4/T8 Ratio
FCD4G, EPIC: LAB6409
- Specimens should only be drawn Monday – Friday. The specimen should not be drawn on weekends or holidays. On the day before a holiday, specimens must be received in the Flow Cytometry Laboratory BEFORE 12:00 pm on the day before the holiday for testing to be performed.
- A Complete Blood Count and Differential (CBCWD) is required to perform CD4 Absolute Count testing.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Lavender-top EDTA tube for CD4 Absolute Count AND one Lavender-top EDTA tube for Complete Blood Count with Differential. (Minimum: 2.0 mL each tube.)
- The second Lavender-top EDTA tube at room temperature is not required for CD4 Absolute Count if:
- CBCWD is ordered for purpose not related to this test and drawn at the same time.
- CBCWD is performed in the Outreach Client's office and results are faxed to the Flow Cytometry Laboratory (248-551-1262) and received at the time of testing.
- If a separate specimen is NOT submitted for the Complete Blood Count with Differential, a CBCWD will be ordered.
- A copy of the requisition must be sent with the specimen.
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Maintain whole blood at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport. Specimens MUST be received in the Laboratory within 24 hours of collection.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood, at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
Transport two 4 mL whole blood tubes (minimum: 2 mL each tube) at room temperature. Specimens MUST be received within 24 hours of collection. No weekend or holiday draws.
- Clotted specimens.
- Refrigerated specimens, accepted with approval of the Flow Cytometry manager or lab director.
- Specimens received greater than 24 hours post collection.
Maintain at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to testing. The specimen should be processed within 24 hours of collection.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Acceptable with approval of the Flow Cytometry supervisor or lab director.
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Flow Cytometry Laboratory
Monday – Friday, Saturday until 12:00 pm.
Results available in 1-2 days.
|Less than 3 years
||351 - 2479
Please see Pediatric Reference Range
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry.
This assay includes: absolute lymphocyte count, CD4 T-helper cells, CD8 T-suppressor cells, and CD3 total T-cells.
This test may be used to monitor patients with HIV infection.
86359, 86360, 88184.
LOINC: 54218-3, CD4 8123-2, CD8 8101-8, 24467-3
Flow Cytometry Laboratory – RO
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.