Anal, Anal pap, Anal Brushing, ARC, Anal rectal cytology, Cytology, Non-Gyn, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL NON-GYN
For supplies or questions regarding specimen collection and transport, please contact the Cytology Laboratory.
- Royal Oak: 248-898-9035
- Farmington Hills: 947-521-8249
- Troy: 248-964-9050
- Grosse Pointe: 313-473-1801
- Dearborn: 313-436-2369
- Taylor: 313-295-5365
- Trenton: 734-671-3868
- Wayne: 734-467-4275
- Outreach: 800-511-0488
Specimen Collection Criteria
- Use cytobrush to collect specimen.
- Rinse brush as quickly as possible in ThinPrep® Preservcyt solution by rotating device in solution 10 times while pushing against the vial wall. Swirl the device vigorously to further release material. Discard the brush.
- If HPV testing is also requested submit two separate specimens in ThinPrep® Preservcyt vials and indicate the HPV test request (LAB6364) on the cytology requisition.
- Label the specimen container with an EPIC specimen label with the patient name, hospital number, source of specimen, and date of test.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL NON-GYN” and fill in all appropriate fields. Label specimen container and requisition with EPIC specimen labels.
- All Cytology specimens must be accompanied by a requisition and must include the patient name, hospital and visit number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, pertinent patient history, physician name and source of specimen. Place an EPIC specimen label on the requisition.
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Specimens in a ThinPrep® Preservcyt Solution tube/vial may be maintained at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: ThinPrep® Preservcyt Solution tube/vial at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen (such as improper fixation).
- Specimens contaminated with a foreign material.
- Frozen specimens.
- Any specimen received without all the required information will result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
- Specimens that leak outside of specimen container into transport bags.
Inpatient Specimen Preparation
- Deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (first level) Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical floors and Clinical Pathology, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.
- When the Cytology Laboratory is closed, specimens must be delivered to the Clinical Pathology Specimen Processing area.
- Deliver the specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (2nd floor, East) Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical floors and Endoscopy, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- When the Cytology Laboratory is closed, specimens must be delivered to Laboratory Central Processing.
- Deliver specimen directly to the Cytology Laboratory (north tower, lower level, west wing) Monday – Friday, 6:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- Specimens are also picked up from the surgical floors, Endoscopy and Clinical Pathology Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm, Saturday, 7:00 am – 11:00 am, NT and Endoscopy ONLY.
- When the laboratory is closed specimens may be delivered to the Surgical Pathology Laboratory (located on the lower level near the east tower elevators), Clinical Pathology, Specimen Receiving (located in the Beaumont Laboratory Research Building), or STAT lab.
- All specimens must be delivered to the Specimen Reception Department (tube station #201; phone number: 248-964-8030, or x38030).
- Specimens are also routinely picked up throughout the day from the surgical floors and Endoscopy Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Deliver the specimen to the main lab drop off window and sign in. Open 24/7.
- Deliver directly to Cytology, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Deliver directly to Histology lab, Monday-Friday open 24 hours, Saturday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, closed on Sunday.
- Specimens are also picked up throughout the day from the surgical area and endoscopy, Monday – Friday 6:00 am – 4:30 pm, Saturday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- When the Cytology lab is closed specimens must be delivered to the main lab window and signed in.
- Deliver to histology, 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- After hours deliver the specimen to the main lab. Open 24/7.
- Specimens are picked up from Emergency Dept., Interventional Radiology, and operating rooms from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- After hours deliver specimens to the main lab. Open 24/7.
- Specimens are picked up from Emergency Dept. and Interventional Radiology from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- After hours deliver specimen to the main lab. Open 24/7.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Specimens in ThinPrep® PreservCyt Solution tube/Vial:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 14 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 14 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimens in ThinPrep® PreservCyt Solution tube/Vial:
Room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 14 days from receipt in lab
Royal Oak Cytology Laboratory
Grosse Pointe and Farmington Hills specimens are sent to Royal Oak Cytology Laboratory for preparation and screening. Final results are issued by originating hospital.
Dearborn, Taylor, Trenton, and Wayne specimens are sent to Royal Oak Cytology Laboratory for preparation, screening and issuing final results.
Troy Cytology Laboratory
- Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm (Troy).
- Monday – Friday,7:00 am – 4:30 pm (Royal Oak).
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 3:30 pm (Farmington Hills).
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (Grosse Pointe).
- Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 4:30 pm (Dearborn)
- Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (Taylor)
- Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (Trenton)
- Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm (Wayne)
Most results are available within 24-48 hours of receipt in the Cytology Laboratory if received Monday – Friday. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Specimens received after 3:00 pm on Friday will be processed the following Monday and resulted on Tuesday Specimens received after 3:00 pm the day before a holiday will be processed the next working day and resulted out the following day.
ThinPrep® Monolayer Preparation only, routine processing.
Cytology Laboratory – DBN
Cytology Laboratory – TRN
Cytology Laboratory – TYL
Cytology Laboratory – RO
Cytology Laboratory – GP
Cytology Laboratory – TR
Cytology Laboratory – FH
Cytology Laboratory – WYN
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.