Cytomegalovirus (CMV) DNA Quantitation by PCR
Human CMV, hCMV, CMV Viral Load, CMV Quantification, Herpesvirus, EPIC: LAB6777, SOFT: IQCMG
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Lavender-top EDTA tube.
- Minimum volume (single test with no repeat): 0.5 mL plasma.
- Separate samples must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Centrifuge to separate plasma from cells within 36 hours of collection if stored refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) or within 24 hours of collection if stored at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F). Transfer all available plasma to a plastic transport tube and refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 0.5 mL)
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Plasma, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Specimens not centrifuged within 24 hours of collection if stored at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Specimens not centrifuged within 36 hours of collection if stored refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Specimens not collected in Lavender-top EDTA tubes.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 6 weeks
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): One month
Royal Oak Clinical Molecular Pathology Laboratory.
Once per week (Tuesday).
Results available within 7-10 days.
- Target Not Detected (Limit of Detection: 91 IU/mL).
- Reportable range: 137 - 9,100,000 IU/mL.
- Results exceeding 9,100,000 IU/mL will not be diluted, and will be reported as greater than 9,100,000 IU/mL.
- Note: CMV DNA (copies/mL) = CMV DNA result (IU/mL) x 1.1 copies/IU.
Roche COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan CMV Test (FDA Approved).
- This test is intended for use as an aid in the management of solid-organ transplant patients who are undergoing anti-CMV therapy. In this population serial DNA measurements can be used to assess virological response to antiviral treatment. The results of this test should be interpreted within the context of all relevant clinical and laboratory findings.
- This test is NOT intended for use as a screening test for the presence of CMV DNA in blood or blood products.
EPIC: LAB6777, SOFT: IQCMG
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.