BCR/ABL Quantitation by RT-PCR
BCR Quantitation By RT-PCR, EPIC: LAB6390, SOFT: GQBCG
Samples should be drawn as early in the day as possible, so they can be delivered to the Laboratory the same day.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: 10 mL whole blood in Lavender-top EDTA. (Min: 5.0 mL)
A copy of the requisition must be sent with the specimen.
FedEx Shipping Instructions
Transport 10 mL whole blood (minimum: 5 mL), refrigerated. Do not freeze specimens.
Click here for complete shipping instructions.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Do not freeze specimens. Maintain whole blood at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F), or refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F) if the specimen will not be received in the laboratory within 6 hours of collection.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Maintain whole blood at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F) if the specimen will not be received in the laboratory within 6 hours of collection. (Min: 5.0 mL)
- Frozen specimens.
- Unlabeled tubes.
- Specimens collected in heparin (Green-top), clot tubes (Red-top), ACD anti-coagulant tubes, or SST tubes.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 6 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 48 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Clinical Molecular Pathology Laboratory.
Once per week.
Results available within 7-14 days.
Negative (no gene rearrangement detected).
RNA extraction from whole blood and BCR-ABL fusion transcript and quantitation analysis using real-time reverse transcriptase - polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR).
The BCR-ABL fusion transcript quantitation is normalized by calculating the relative ratio to normal ABL transcript. The presence of detectable BCR-ABL transcript confirms the existence of persistent transcriptionally active CML (chronic myeloid leukemia) cells.
- This quantitative test is used for monitoring therapy response to tyrosine kinase inhibitors, by serial measurement of CML-specific transcripts (p210; b2a2, b3a2) as an accurate measure of the total leukemia-cell mass.
- This test can only be used if the patient is positive for the b2a2 or b3a2 major (p210) breakpoints.
- Patient’s positive for alternate breakpoints will be sent to a reference lab.
- This test is intended for use ONLY on peripheral blood from patients with a previously diagnosed t(9:22) translocation.
- Peripheral blood specimens from patients with unconfirmed cases of CML or Ph+ ALL should be submitted for BCR/ABL1 Gene Rearrangement testing.
EPIC: LAB6390, SOFT: GQBCG
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.