Bone Marrow Karyotype
Chromosome Testing, Karyotyping, Chromosome Analysis, Karyogram, Bone Marrow, Bone Core Biopsy, EPIC: LAB6460, SOFT: GBMGT
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: 2.0 mL bone marrow aspirate in a Dark Green-top Sodium Heparin tube. (Min: 1.0 mL)
- Bone marrow aspirates should be collected by a physician or trained technologist.
- Gently invert the tube to mix the specimen.
- A copy of the requisition must be sent with the specimen. The requisition form should contain the patient name, birth date, medical record number, requesting physician, specimen type and test request, date and time of collection, and tentative diagnosis.
- All specimens requiring FISH testing should identify the type of testing and tentative patient diagnosis on the requisition form. Both the FISH testing and conventional cytogenetics testing can be performed on the same specimen.
FedEx Shipping Instructions
Transport 1-2 mL bone marrow at room temperature. If the specimen will not be received at the testing laboratory within 48 hours of collection, transport refrigerated. Do not fix or freeze the specimen. A pathology report for the patient must be provided.
Read our complete shipping instructions.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Do not freeze specimen. Maintain specimens at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F) prior to courier pickup. For delays in transport (greater than 24 hours from the time of collection), refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F) the specimen.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: 2.0 mL bone marrow aspirate, at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 1.0 mL)
- Specimens arriving in the Laboratory 4 days or more following the original collection date.
- Clotted and suboptimal specimens (volume less than 0.5 mL) will be cultured but the Laboratory cannot guarantee a final result.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 96 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days. A backup cell pellet is maintained for three weeks past sign-out of the final report.
Royal Oak Clinical Cytogenetics Laboratory.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Results available within 7-10 days of receipt in the Laboratory.
STAT analysis must be arranged in advance with the Laboratory.
Normal results would be 46,XX or 46,XY with no apparent abnormalities present.
High resolution microscopic analysis of chromosomes to provide a digital image karyotype. Special stains or techniques such as C-Banding, NOR Banding, DAPI, Q Banding and FISH may be required to further identify specific chromosomal abnormalities or variants.
Based on completion of chromosomal analysis. Interpretation will be issued in the form of a final report.
Karyotyping (chromosome analysis) is performed on oncologic specimens to determine the presence of chromosomal abnormalities. Bone marrow aspirates are obtained to identify and characterize chromosomal involvement in the disease process, to stage or confirm a diagnosis, and to provide post-treatment follow up information to physicians.
To aid in a complete treatment plan for patients, abnormal karyotype results may need to be followed up at a later date to aid in the staging and progression of the disease process.
88237, 88262, 88280.
EPIC: LAB6460, SOFT: GBMGT