BCR/ABL Gene Rearrangement Test
BCR/ABL Qualitative Test, BCR-ABL Gene Rearrangement Test, BCR ABL Gene Rearrangement Test, EPIC: LAB6378, SOFT: GBCRG
Samples should be drawn as early in the day as possible so they can be delivered to the Laboratory the same day.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Blood OR Bone Marrow
- Blood: 10 mL whole blood in Lavender-top EDTA tubes. (Min: 5.0 mL)
- Bone Marrow: 1.0 mL bone marrow aspirate in a Lavender-top EDTA tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Other specimen types require the approval of the Medical or Technical Director.
FedEx Shipping Instructions
Transport 10 mL whole blood (minimum: 5.0 mL) or 1.0 mL bone marrow aspirate (minimum: 0.5 mL), refrigerated. Do not freeze specimens.
Click here for complete shipping instructions.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Do not freeze specimens. Maintain specimens at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) and transport to the Laboratory within 4-6 hours of collection.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood or bone marrow aspirate at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Frozen specimens.
- Unlabeled tubes.
- Specimens collected in heparin (Green-top), clot tubes (Red-top), or SST tubes.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 6 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 48 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Clinical Molecular Pathology Laboratory.
Once per week.
Results available in 7-10 days.
Negative (no gene rearrangement).
RNA extraction and analysis for BCR-ABL fusion transcript from whole blood using the reverse transcriptase and the polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) followed by restriction fragment length analysis.
The test is diagnostic for chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) and is a prognostic indicator in acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) in the adult and pediatric ALL cases.
- This test is used for the detection of BCR-ABL gene rearrangement for the diagnosis and monitoring of CML and ALL patients.
- The test is required for the diagnosis of CML, also to rule out CML in all other myeloproliferative neoplasms; for ALL patients, both pediatric and adults, the test is recommended for risk stratification.
EPIC: LAB6378, SOFT: GBCRG
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.