Solid Tumor/Tissue Karyotype
Chromosome Testing, Karyotyping, Chromosome Analysis, Karyogram, EPIC: LAB6463, SOFT: GSTGT
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: 1.0 x 1.0 cm piece of tumor tissue or lymph node. Place tissue in a sterile centrifuge tube containing tissue culture medium.
- Obtain specimens under sterile conditions.
- If possible, all specimens should be received in the Cytogenetics Laboratory within 3 hours of resection.
- A copy of the requisition must be sent with the specimen. The specimen and requisition form should be placed in a sealed transport bag. The requisition form should contain the patient name, birth date, medical record number, requesting physician, specimen type and test request, date and time of collection, and tentative diagnosis.
- Additionally, a request for Cryopreservation needs to be written on the requisition form, if required.
- Fixed or frozen tissue.
- Specimens arriving contaminated or suboptimal in size.
- Specimen should be received in the Laboratory within 48 hours of collection.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 48 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days. A backup culture is maintained for two weeks past sign-out of the final report.
Royal Oak Clinical Cytogenetics Laboratory.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Results available within 12-14 days of receipt in the Laboratory.
Normal results would be 46,XX or 46,XY with no apparent abnormalities present.
High-resolution microscopic analysis of chromosomes to provide a digital image karyotype. Special stains or techniques such as C-Banding, NOR Banding, DAPI, Q Banding and FISH may be required to further identify specific chromosomal abnormalities or variants.
Based on completion of chromosomal analysis. Interpretation will be issued in the form of a final report.
Karyotyping (chromosome analysis) is performed on solid tissue tumors and lymph nodes to determine the presence of chromosomal abnormalities.
Implication for clinical disease will be clearly stated in the final report.
88239, 88262, 88280, 88285.
EPIC: LAB6463, SOFT: GSTGT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.