Porphyrins, 24 Hour Urine Quantitative
LabCorp #3194, EPIC: LAB6269, SOFT: XPOUR
- Please refer to the Specimen Collection Manual for instructions on 24 Hour Urine Collection:
- For Porphobilinogen, 24 Hour Urine Quantitative testing please click here.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: 24 hour urine sample with no preservative.
- Keep 24 hour urine specimen iced or refrigerated during collection.
- Include start and end dates and times for the collection period on the specimen container.
- Protect specimen from light during and after collection.
Urine Preservative Options
6N Hydrochloric Acid
Boric Acid (10g)
50% Acetic Acid
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Protect specimen from light. Maintain specimens refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Entire 24 hour urine collection, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Random urine specimens.
- Specimens with preservatives.
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Protect specimen from light. Measure total volume of 24 hour urine specimen. Record total volume and collection start and end dates and times in the LIS system. Aliquot 2.0 mL from the well-mixed 24 hour urine collection. (Minimum: 1.5 mL)
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): Unacceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 14 days
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimen retention time is determined by the policy of the reference laboratory. Contact the Send Outs Laboratory with any questions.
Sent to Laboratory Corporation of America (LabCorp), Research Triangle Park, NC.
Tuesday – Friday.
Results available in 3-5 days.
High-Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) with Fluorometric Detection.
This assay includes: coproporphyrins, uroporphyrins, and intermediate porphyrins (heptacarboxyl, hexacarboxyl, and pentacarboxyl).
Send Out Laboratory – RO
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.